Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. (Sir Francis Bacon)

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Sabriel (Garth Nix)

I've been going through my bookcase, separating out the books I want to keep from the books I can trade/give away. Sabriel is one of the books my daughter left in my care, and I thought it was time that I read it. Big mistake, at least for the first chapter. I hated the story, the plot, the writing. But I was feeling too lazy to go pick out something else to read, so I went on for another chapter. And the book started to get better. So I read a third chapter, and decided to read the entire book. I'm very glad I did. The writing got better; much better. Nix actually ended up creating a very believable world in which modern technology exists on one side while magic exists on the other, with just a short stone wall to provide a border between the two.

I'll be looking for more books by Garth Nix.

No comments: