Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. (Sir Francis Bacon)

Monday, July 13, 2009

Buried Stuff (Sharon Sloan Fiffer)

There are some books that I would be better off not reading. "Buried Stuff" definitely falls in that category. And I knew this going into the book, since this is the second book in the series by Fiffer that I've read.

Jane Wheel is a Picker. She goes to auctions, estate sales, yard sales, etc and 'picks through' for collectibles. She just happened to pick up the clues to the murder mystery along the way.

I find myself drawn into the story, and come out with a craving to go hunt for cheap antiques. I'm in the middle of trying to rid myself of excess possessions, and after reading this book I want to run out and look for old salt and pepper shakers, and depression glass, and all the wonderful knick-knacks that fill my mother's and my aunts' houses.

I did pull a really amazing passage from "Buried Stuff." There is a scene where the old man is saying to pick up something to remember a place by. "That's why God made pockets." He leaves things around, old pennies and pretty rocks, so that people will find them and remember him. "That's why God made pockets." I love that thought. I've been picking up pennies and putting them in my pocket whenever I find one. It makes me think of my grandmother. Now I wonder if she's been putting them in my way so that I would remember her.

No comments: