Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. (Sir Francis Bacon)

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Damsel Under Stress (Shanna Swendson)

I'm not sure why I bothered to read this book. It's very strange - sort of a Harlequin Romance does Harry Potter thing. The basic story is that our heroine, who happens to be immune to magic, works for a company of magicians/wizards in New York City. (Naturally the great Merlin of King Arthur fame is the CEO.) While trying to save humanity, she falls in love with her co-worker and all sorts of strange situations happen (like battling dragons in the subway).

The surprising thing was that I really enjoyed the book. The characters were well-written, and the plot was not as straight forward as I expected. I may even look up the author to see what else she's written.

No comments: